Friday, June 16, 2006

1971 Cadillac Coupe DeVille


Here she is! The latest addition to my ever-changing fleet; a 1971 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. Found nearly on accident three weeks ago in the front row of a service station in New Hampshire in the middle of a very eclectic bunch of vehicles (Flanked by a 1977 Ford Thunderbird and a 1950 Allis Chalmers farm tractor on the left and a homemade Harley-Davidson tricycle complete with coach lights from an old horse-drawn hearse and a 1946 Chevrolet 1-ton cab & chassis on the right), I was soon rendered powerless against the appeal of having another old land barge to fill the gaping hole in my fleet left from the sale of my 1979 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. Sure, I also own a 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme sedan, but it doesn't have quite the same presence that a luxury car of the same era does. The gentleman that owned it previous was in the midst of a bitter divorce, and consequently he was asking a price that I could not have refused and felt good about later. Now it sits out in front of my house awaiting a little brake and engine work to make it roadworthy again. She'll most likely be driven for the rest of the summer as-is, and work will begin this fall or winter, unless something else comes along to either replace or sideline it. I swear that every car I buy will be the last, but that all goes out the window every couple of months when I come across something else that tickles my fancy, and then something has to either be let go from the fleet or stored in a different location. Unfortunately, although my love for old cars is boundless, my space for them certainly isn't. We'll see what happens, but for now the big white Cadillac is all mine!